About Consumers Association of Bangladesh
Consumers Association of Bangladesh (CAB)
Consumers Association of Bangladesh (CAB), a non-government, non-political, non-profit and voluntary consumer organization was founded in February 1978 at the initiation of some dedicated residents in Dhaka who were imbued with the ideas of consumerism, a movement that already took shape in many advanced countries in Europe and America. Primarily started as a social group to protect consumers from commodity adulteration and artificial price-hike it has gradually widened its scope to establish and safeguard consumers’ rights and interests in social, economic, health and environmental issues.
CAB was registered with the Department of Social Services, Government of Bangladesh vide reg. No DHA-01247 dated 14 March 1983 and with the NGO Affairs Bureau vide reg. No. DSS/FDO/R-197 dated 2 March 1986. CAB is also a full member of Consumers International. It is funded by membership fees and by grants from donors.
Mission of CAB
To make people aware of their rights and responsibilities as consumers and motivate them to be active and vocal against violation of those rights.
Vision of CAB
Rights of consumers are established and ensured.
- Be Consumer Driven with due regard to the concept of market development and sustainable consumption.
- Uphold fairness and justice.
- Maintain openness (transparency) in activities to public and accountability to all members.
- Be Independent and unsusceptible to undue influence.
- Be proactive, constructive and persevering.
- Protect the privacy of personal data.